Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Remembering Aaliyah: 9 Years Later



I cannot believe it has already been 9 years since Aaliyah has passed. I still remember I was up late a few days before I started 9th grade and I saw a link saying Aaliyah had died. I read it and I didn't believe it at first. When it was confirmed that it was real I still couldn't believe it. It was truly a sad day when the world lost it's angel.
Aaliyah's style and grace, poise and personality is something that people loved about her and will continue to miss. Her smooth voice over Timbaland's beats was a dynomite combintation. From her movie rolls to her music, Aaliyah had so much going for her. I can still remember seeing girls dressing like her and myself rocking out to all of her songs. There was something about her as an entertainer that was intriguing, raw and real. She seemed that even if you didn't know her that she would be the type of person who you could trust, someone that you knew. MTV caught up with Missy Elliot and she talked about the past and some of her favorite moments with Aaliyah.
"We've had so many memorable times. My most memorable is when me, her and Tim wore outfits alike! It was burgundy Pony outfits to the awards. Mind you, Aaliyah was petite so her Pony outfit looked so cute on her, but I kept looking at mine during the awards whispering to her saying, "I feel like a big-ass pony for real!" And we laughed and laughed! Too many memories to state them all! If she was still with us, she would still be at the top. Because she always stayed pushing herself to be better" - Missy Elliot
No doubt she was taken off of this earth too soon, but her music and work will live on forever. Much love Aaliyah Dana Haughton! January 16, 1979 - August 25, 2010
"It's hard to say what I want my legacy to be when I'm long gone. I want people to remember me as a full on entertainer and a good person." - Aaliyah

No comments:

Post a Comment